Simple Is The New Black: Why You Should Wear A Minimalist Wardrobe In The New Year
Could you dress with 33 items or less for 3 months?
Less really is more — especially when it comes to fashion.
You may dream of the day when you own a Pinterest-worthy wardrobe that would put Carrie Bradshaw to shame; in reality, you probably can’t afford a room full of strappy Manolos.
What’s a girl to do when she only has a handful of items hanging in her closet?
Well, you could start by taking a cue from Project 333. Started by Courtney Carver, Project 333 is all about teaching women how to work with what they have and toss what they don’t need.
- Go through your wardrobe and pick out 33 items of clothing that you will wear for the next 3 months.
- This includes shoes, outwear, and accessories; it does not include underwear, sleepwear, wedding rings or other sentimental jewelry you wear daily, and workout apparel — provided you aren’t wearing those yoga pants as regular attire.
- Anything that you aren’t wearing over the course of these three months should be boxed up and stored out of sight.
The point of the project is to uncluttered your life by creating a capsule wardrobe — one that is full of versatile items you love and will be happy to wear multiple times.
The trick to Project 333 is learning how to recycle each item without making it noticeable. You don’t want to wear the exact same two or three outfits to work everyday. Rather, you want to work with staple items that you can mix and match. You’d be surprised how many outfits you can put together with such little clothing to work with.
Still sound too difficult for you to do? Take some advice from Courtney Carver herself.
- Start by getting rid of clothes you actually dislike. Then move onto the more difficult to part with pieces.
- Pick a color palette and stick to it.
- Once something goes into the “no” pile, it cannot be retrieved. Stay strong.
- Put the clothes you will not be wearing in storage. That way you will be less likely to miss a particular item or be tempted to put it back in your wardrobe.
- Do not go shopping, watch shopping channels, or surf online shopping sites.
So what are you waiting for? Open your closet and start decluttering your life!